Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Origins Game Fair: Which Ribbons to Buy

Gamers, have you made your reservations for Origins Game Fair yet? If not, it's not too late. The gaming convention is being held (as usual) in Columbus, OH from June 22-26. Hotel rooms are still available (I should know, I just switched hotels yesterday.), and it is a ton of concentrated, crazy gaming for people who are dying to try new games, meet new people, and see what's new in the gaming world. The Greatest Husband in the World (GHITW) and I had so much fun last year, we're already counting down the days until we boot Lily and her cute little Barbie suitcase over to my mom's house and hit the road to Columbus!

This is our second year attending, and I know that for Origins first-timers, it can be a bit tricky figuring out which badges to buy, or how many generic tokens ("generics") or events to sign up for. Here's a run-down based on my experience from Origins 2010. I can't say for sure that it will be just the same in 2011, so don't egg me if you see me in the halls of the Columbus Convention Center just because a few things have changed.


Ribbon Run-Down:


Board Room Ribbon - This is a giant section of the main hall that requires a Board Room Ribbon to access. The area is lined with dozens (maybe even hundreds?) of gaming tables waiting to be used by patrons who check out games from the massive library that sits just inside the Board Room entry. All day long gamers can play as many or as few games as they please with whomever they please, and just have fun. Game selection is excellent...but has some gaps. Food concessions are nearby (if only open occasionally, and usually packed), and raffle tickets are handed out at random throughout the gaming day by event organizers to anyone gaming in the Board Room. At the end of Origins, dozens and dozens of these tickets are pulled for board game prizes. I didn't win anything last year...but that was a statistical wonder I didn't. So many games! Oh, and did I mention that just for entering the Board Room for the first time, I was handed two free board games in shrink? Yeah, free games. The only bummer is it closes a bit on the early side (we're remembering about 10:00pm?) compared to, say, the Mayfair Room. Word on the street (ie the Origins official website) is that the War Room has been combined with the Board Room this year, so it should be a pretty packed house. VERDICT: Definitely worthwhile, get this ribbon!

Big Experiment Ribbon - This is the room off of the main concourse that is set up for Looney Labs games. They have a library of games, events, and tournaments. Meh, it's a great room for kids, but I'm not a huge Looney Labs fan. The premise of their games is a little...wacky and juvenile for my tastes. I played one event in there last year, and that was enough for me. But families seem to have a really good time, and first-timers will want to at least pop in and check it out. Fluxx seems to be popular with the teen-boppers nowadays. Down side? The ribbon doesn't qualify you to play in any of the Looney Labs werewolf games...for that you need to buy an extra ribbon. Weak. VERDICT: Maybe pass on this one unless you're traveling with kids or you really love Looney Labs.

Werewolf Ribbon - Entitles you to play in any of Looney Labs' "Are You the Werewolf?" games. This is a great game for group interaction, and is a fun diversion if you want a change of pace. But...I never was interested in playing enough "Werewolf" to make it worthwhile. VERDICT: Make sure you're a Werewolf fan.

Mayfair Ribbon - This gives you access into a room off the main concourse that is set up for Mayfair Games (ya know, the peeps who make Settlers of Catan, Pillars of the Earth, Hey That's My Fish!, etc.). Their full library of currently available games are ready for playing. Last year they had several custom-made GIANT 3-D versions of games set up, like GIANT Pompeii, and GIANT Settlers. Plus they have the usual tournaments and special events. They're also known for holding special ribbon collecting contests and giving away prizes. And as of 2010, they toted out bowls of chips each evening for late-night gamers, and always had pros on-hand to teach the games. As a bonus, they're open just about the latest of any room (midnight each night). VERDICT: It's a really popular ribbon, and an excellent place to game if you even remotely like Mayfair's style of games. I'm already signed up for this ribbon, and you should, too.

Origins After Dark Ribbon - The "after dark" room was upstairs last year in a little area with a bar and plenty of gaming for peeps 18+. The late-night availability is nice for some people, but I found it wasn't very hopping last year...or maybe I popped in at the wrong times. Either way I won't be getting this ribbon, but may use a few generics in there if the mood strikes me. VERDICT: If you're a night owl and want some cocktails, this might be for you. Otherwise, you might want to wait and just check it out casually your first time through.

Puffing Billy Ribbon - The train game room. VERDICT: Listen, if you know you're nuts about train games, get it. If not, you'll probably never step toe inside. Train game people tend to know who they are.

Amtgard Ribbon, War College Ribbon, & HOT Ribbon - If you know what "boffer combat" is, or have a hard-on for war games or historical miniatures, please check out the Origins website for more info on these ribbons. Go on. It's okay. I have nothing for you here. VERDICT: Phthbbttttt.

As for the rest of the signing up you'll need to do? Sign up for a handful of events you're reeeeally excited about, but leave your schedule pretty loose and open (dirty!). You'll want a lot of time just to cruise around and check things out...plus, you can use generics to buy into most game events you come across (the ones that aren't full). How many generics should you buy? Don't be like 2010 us and load up on generics. That was silly. You really probably only need about 1-5 generics per person (they cost $2 each). The good news is you can buy more at the event, or you can cash them out if you have unused ones. The bad news is that means waiting in lines. Bummer. Or you can be like me and just trade in all your excess generics for D&D minis at the mini painting booth. Ha.

Well, phew! That's a lot to take in. If you're still not certain, feel free to ask questions either here in the comments section, or head over to the Origins Facebook page where you can find all sorts of nuts with opinions.

Hopefully I'll see many of you at Origins. If you recognize me or my name badge (Katie Schumm), be sure to say hello and get a pic so I can share all the cool people I met at Origins here on the blog!

5 comments:

  1. This sure has changed since I last went. I have the board room pass and when I am not there, I figure I'll be wondering the dealer area. They used to have plenty of games to play test.

    Thanks for the nice breakdown and I'll be sure to watch out for you and make sure I am looking good for photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kearn,

    The dealer area will certainly have lots of play-testing going on, so between the two you'll certainly be plenty busy gaming.

    Only a few weeks to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew there was a conference? Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharkbytes, you didn't know about Origins? I wholly endorse it and encourage you to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie,

    I found your blog through Google and I was wondering if you could help with some questions. I've never been to Origins before and I'm a little confused. Do we have to buy ribbons in addition to the full badge? Or does a full badge cover ribboned events?

    Julie

    ReplyDelete