Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Top Ten Things I'm Looking Forward to at Origins 2011

First, I'd like to apologize to all the people out there who don't give a fig about Origins. My mania will subside soon. But not only is it the highlight of my gaming year, it's also the only vacation I get all year long. For once, someone else will make my bed and I don't have to boil water for dinner.  Plus, may I say, if you don't give a fig about Origins, why the hell not? Start rethinking your fig giving standards! It's an ideally located midwestern board gaming festival that is affordable and fun.


Okay, enough preaching. I'll just explain what has me doing some jazz hands right about now.

10. My hotel is connected to the convention center this year. So bring on the rain!

9. Finding out what crazy ribbon-collecting contest Mayfair Games has in store for us this year. Oh, I hope it's ridiculous for a teeny-tiny prize. I love making an ass of myself collecting those ribbons!

8. Gluttonous food gorging. Sushi, cheese steaks, cheeseburgers...ah, the joys of eating junk while on vacation

7. The Smithee Awards. This will be the first year I am checking out this tribute to the worst, cheesiest films in history. It's supposed to be hilarious and memorable.

6. Mini painting. I don't play D&D as often as I used to, but I still find a lot of joy in painting those little minis. And it's a nice break when I start to go cross-eyed from reading so many rule books--I'll just kick back with some minis, free paints, and the focused painting nerds nearby.

5. Closing down the Mayfair Room each night. Aside from Origins After Dark, the Mayfair Room is pretty much the latest "room" that is open each night, and therefore it is the room that closed down the gaming day for us each night. There's something about that ten-minutes-'til-midnight-dash to finish a game that caps a day off perfectly.


4. The Origins Auction. Used games at low, low prices! All in a calm dark room where I don't have to read any rule books for an hour or two. It's the perfect respite. Plus, I'll have a few items to sell as well.

3. The steampunk costumes. This year's theme is Victoriana, and I can't wait to see all the awesome garb people come up with...and then seethe at them with jealously and loathing.


2. The Alien Frontiers tournament!

1. Did I mention all the games, games, and more games!? I wonder if I can get to 30 new games played by the end of the festival? Any wagers?

2 comments:

  1. It all sounds intriguing. Who knew there were still so many people who like board games? Did I tell you I like the new background.

    I have a "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon" game. Are you jealous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you have no idea how many there are out there! Lots and lots of us. Sharkbytes, you should look into some of these conventions.

    Oh, and thanks for the props on the new background. Glad you like it. The dark background was making me nutty. ;)

    Now, as for this Sergeant game...I am unfamiliar. Enlighten us!

    ReplyDelete