Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Interview: W. David MacKenzie from Clever Mojo Games

If you've never heard of Clever Mojo games, then please let me be the first to introduce you, for you will surely hear a whole lot more about them in coming months and years. Most notably for fans of this blog, Clever Mojo is the game publisher that brings us Alien Frontiers (among other titles). The retro-stylized, dice-thick space adventure game was recently reviewed here on this blog, and I'm not bashful about saying that I've quickly become a huge fan and champion of the game. Over at BGG, I was greedily excited to post my review, not realizing that the actual game designers may be digesting my words. But to my delight, W. David MacKenzie--owner and head designer over at Clever Mojo Games--left a note of thanks on the review post. Pretty exciting, right? Well, I just had to seize on the opportunity and take advantage of his graciousness by asking to pick his brain about what's coming up in the Clever Mojo world. And wouldn't you know, he was kind enough to reply right back to me and answer a slew of questions that I now have here to share with you.

First, just a little background on Clever Mojo Games: The gaming publisher primarily consists of three game designers, Mr. MacKenzie, Tory Niemann (designer of Alien Frontiers), and Fred MacKenzie. Alien Frontiers is the third game generated by the outfit, which is based out of Edmonds, Washington. For more info about the publisher and their other games, you can visit their website at: www.clevermojogames.com.

Okay, enough background. Let's get on with the interesting answers, teasers, and insight! Below is the email interview from W. David MacKenzie, in its entirety. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

   When will the second print run of Alien Frontiers be available?

We signed off on the proofs for the second printing a few days before Christmas so they're busily churning out Alien Frontiers components right now and we're aiming at having the games in people's hands by the end of March, 2011. That sounds like a long time but it takes nearly a month to get the games out of China over to America on a container ship, and checked in through US Customs. Also, we're up against a little bit of a brick wall in that we're trying to get our order onto the boat before the Lunar New Year on February 3rd. China basically closes down for a full week, all the factory workers go home for the week-long holiday, and many of them never come back to the cities and the factories. Often the factories will take two or three weeks longer to hire and train new workers before they can get back into production. So, we're racing the clock a little to make it to the boat on time.

   ...and how large will the second print run be?

We've ordered 3,000 copies for the second printing.

Editor's note: It looks like pre-order sales are now open on the Clever Mojo website. I wouldn't suggest waiting on this one.

   Do you plan on using Kickstarter.com for the Alien Frontiers expansion, "Outer Belt"? Or for any future projects?

Kickstarter was a great adventure for us and, if possible, we would love to bring more projects to life via Kickstarter's crowd-sourced funding system. Still a little too early yet to say which projects will get the Kickstarter treatment, though.

   Speaking of the Alien Frontiers expansion, "Outer Belt", when do you expect its release?

The latest rules build for Outer Belt was just turned in to me this week. Randall Bart, one of our chief play testers, has been working on it for several months now and we'll be bringing Outer Belt to the play tester in WA and AZ later in January. If it plays well and if we can get Mark Maxwell started on the art, we should be able to release it late in 2011.

Editor's note: Maybe in time for a certain  fan's 31st birthday in September?...Hmmm?

   How would you summarize your overall experience with Kickstarter.com?

A bit humbling, actually. We were all stunned and how eager people were to get in on the ground-floor of our game project. In truth, we would have found a way to publish Alien Frontiers regardless, but the platform that Kickstarter gave us to gather and build our backers and fan made it all so much easier. I watch and support a fair number of projects on Kickstarter and while many make it to their funding goals, some really great ideas seem to languish. I really worked hard to put out a huge number of updates, send out art samples to our backers, involve the backers in the design process, and even enlisted them in the proofreading tasks.  Some people suggested that I was going way overboard on the almost daily updates, but I think that nearly all of our backers really enjoyed the flood of info and felt like they were integral parts of the project...and they were!  We love our Kickstarter backers.

   Will Clever Mojo Games be represented at major game conventions this summer? Particularly at Origins?

As a matter of fact, I am nearly certain that I will be at Origins 2011, though whether I'll be working a Clever Mojo Games vendor booth or just running Alien Frontiers demo games in the board room is still up in the air. I'm a real convention noob and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a little bit scared of an event the size of Origins. I'm kind of hoping I can find another small-press game publisher and we can share a booth and help each other out. I need someone with some experience to guide me though my first big convention. But yes, in one capacity or another, I'm going to be there to fly the Alien Frontiers flag.

Editor's note: Exxcellent. I had to specifically ask about Origins since The Greatest Husband in the World and I are already squirreling away our nickels to fund a trip down to Ohio for the con in June. Can't wait to see more from Clever Mojo!

   What can you tell us about some exciting upcoming Clever Mojo Games projects?

We've got several games percolating through our design and play testing processes. My brother is designing a highly interactive deck building game called Dragon Frenzy, I'm working with a New Zealand game designer on the early stages of a Steampunk-themed adventure board game called Arkopolis Engines, and Tory's got an interesting mobster-themed game called Caporegime that blends deck building and board gaming in some pretty interesting ways. I don't know if any of these will see production in 2011 or not, though. Everyone involved with all of these projects have day jobs and Tory and his wife Melissa just welcomed the arrival of their first child, Penelope, on Jan 2nd. We're a busy busy crew and there's a lot of work to do before any project is ready for publication.

Editor's note: Congrats, Tory and Melissa! And welcome to the world, Penelope! I hope your mommy and daddy have gotten you some giant fuzzy dice to start rolling.

   What are some of your favorite board games of all-time?

Of all-time? I grew up on Risk and Scrabble. I went through high school and college with Dungeons & Dragons. I spent family gatherings playing Scattergories, Pictionary, and Mexican Train Dominoes. I was reborn into strategy gaming via Settlers of Catan. My current favorites are Tobago, Snow Tails, and Alien Frontiers.

Well, there you have it, folks! Lots of exciting things revealed here. Clever Mojo's presence at the game cons will be a blast, and I know a lot of people who will be psyched that Alien Frontiers could be in their hands as early as March. (By the way, who knew so much chaos and international cultural dealings went into getting games into Americans' hands? Fascinating to a noob like me.) Oh, and to the Misters MacKenzie, you both had me at "dragon frenzy" and "steampunk". Purrr. Caporagime has me drooling a little, too. Now I have to arch my hands together and tap my fingertips expectantly for the rest of the year until we hear more.

I would like to thank W. David MacKenzie for his time, his thoughtful answers, and his willingness to humor a slightly off-center blog like this one. We look forward to hearing much more about him and his games in the future!

19 comments:

  1. I'm still here, watching over your shoulder, Katie :-)

    I was happy to do your interview and look forward to meeting you at Origins 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Katie. I will heed your advice and get my pre-order in ASAP. I too am planning on going to Origins too.

    I am eager to see the Caporegime as it is further developed. I am a sucker for a mafia game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kearn,

    Excellent to know you'll be at Origins! We should meet up and play some AF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,

    Glad you're keeping an eye on things here! Be sure to keep us in the loop on all the great goings-on at Clever Mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, did David happen to mention that he is also a newly published author? Check out "Swamp Mist" at Amazon.com! Some wonderful short stories and flash fiction there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information. maniaslot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... 567

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post. Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful. New Minecraft Servers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cant taking office on focusing long adequate to research; lots less write this rosy of article. Youve outdone your self as quickly as this cloth truely. it's miles one of the greatest contents. free slots to play

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This changed into a absolutely frightful contest and optimistically i'm able to attend the neighboring one. It changed into alot of a laugh and that i in fact enjoyed myself.. inferno slots free slots to play

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! олд комбатс

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautifully written article, if on your personal all bloggers offered the linked content as you, the internet could be a much bigger location.. 188Bet

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm innocent-natured you take delivery of to narcissism in what you write. It makes you stand dependancy out from many auxiliary writers that can't support excessive-environment content bearing in mind you. fb88b.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very exceptional factors you wrote right here..fantastic stuff...I think you've made some in reality mesmerizing points.keep taking place the first-class do its stuff-struggle. w88

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there, do you have a Twitter site that we might adhere to? Thanks this page

    ReplyDelete
  17. America Gun Ban Home, Syndicated by Countrymen Your News Source Worldwide. Taking the stink out of Gun Control and being a Patriot.  สล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... agen slot deposit pulsa

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your wp web template, exactly where would you obtain it through? lear here

    ReplyDelete