Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Crappy Birthday to Me

Pack the kids in the minivan, pa, the world must be coming to an end! The Greatest Husband in the World actually posted on this blog! Aside from his normal greatness, he is not, how shall we say?, always cooperative with my silly little projects. And of course, whenever the topic of board games comes up, he'd rather be playing them than writing about them. Touche, sir. So naturally I was quite flattered when he secretly created an entire blogpost without my knowledge. Thanks, husband.

I have other exciting birthday news to add to the feast. Exciting, no? A couple weeks ago, just as my birthday was feeling really redundant, depressing, and stale, I got a treat in the mail (and apparently started rhyming my thoughts sporadically. Balls.). The peeps at NorthStar games sent me a copy of the newly released Crappy Birthday! I actually won this copy in a BGG contest by quipping about homicidal lawn gnomes. (If you want to read the contest thread, here it is. Look for WonderWitch's comments under item #4.)


Now, getting this Crappy Birthday game is awesome because,

A.) We all really should be afraid of lawn gnomes,
B.) I absolutely love free games, and
C.) This is the first game EVER where my name has been mentioned in the rules booklet!  

 Haahh. That's the sound of me breathing arrogantly on my fingernails and polishing them on my shirt shoulder. 

If you will remember back to February, bdloop, bdloop, bdloop (the sound of my wayback machine) that was when I helped to rate and review the Crappy Birthday cards along with dozens of other geeks from BGG. Hence, the name in the "Special Thanks" section. The free copy was just a happy coincidence due to my gnome paranoia and knowledge of ABBA lyrics.

This is a proud, proud moment for me--the moment where I officially have stepped all the way into the board game box and have entered a new dimension of  board game fanaticism appreciation and interaction. Any moment I expect to see a Jabberwocky book appear on my coffee table, and have a rook shout at me.

Granted, I am excited for a few other games, (many of which are being released very soon), that will also have my name in the credits. But this one, this is the first. So crappy birthday to me, and crappy birthday to all the crappy gamers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment