Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Party Game Time!

So funny thing happened after volunteering for reviewing duty for the upcoming Crappy Birthday game--the people over at North Star Games actually found this blog! Who knew? Actually, it's still kind of a mystery how it even landed on their radar, but I'm not one to play at equine dentistry, so I'll just be glad and move on. Shortly after that, they contacted me and asked if I had ever considered reviewing a couple of their current party game titles. Huh. Why, actually....

The honest-to-gods truth is that weeks prior to all of this, TGHITW (The Greatest Husband in the World) and I had actually been out to a couple different stores looking to pick up Wits & Wagers--one of the two titles they recommended. And we had failed. Miserably. (All we could find was the "Family" edition, which involves no betting. What fun is that?) The game was already at the top of our list. So as serendipity would have it, I happen to now have in my possession a copy of both Wits & Wagers and Say Anything, both from North Star Games. That means it's party time.

Now for this kind of special board game review event, I had to call in some friends who not only love traditional board games just as we do, but also have some special expertise in the field of party games. So in advance, I'd like to thank Dan and Jen for sitting down to a critical night of gaming, analysis, and (of course) cocktails. The night was wicked fun, and I have to tell you, it's been a long time since I've laughed so hard.
What you'll see in the following reviews is, as always, my honest, blunt opinion about the games. Com'on, would I really ever play possum? Even for free games? Pshaw! Of course not. Probably not. Well anyway, watch for  Parts I & II of the North Star Games review challenge to be posted shortly.

As always, happy gaming!

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget all your loyal followers when you become as famous as Tom Vasel. Congrats on the review copies and I enjoyed both reviews.

    Both games are on my radar for purchase as well. I think every collection needs party games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Well thanks, if I even approach the outer reaches of Tom Vasel's universe, you can bet we're all getting together for one heck of a party. :)

    And yes, I agree, every well-rounded bg library needs a healthy selection of party games, and both of these games are pretty worthy additions.

    ReplyDelete